Saturday, July 20, 2013

Woahs of a Big Girl

(Sorry, this is a topic I've discussed before...  It's probably like beating a dead horse, but I have to get this off my chest)

Today was I was walking down the street, sweating my ass off (hopefully literally), a guy walked by me and said the words I dread:

"Big girl."

He didn't say it lecherously, it was just a statement.  Simply saying to himself, "Well, that girl is big."

I know that people are always going to think that, and that I am not in control over them, only myself and my reaction to those people. I just don't understand why people think that it's okay to say it out loud and within obvious earshot of me.

I'm tall and I realize that, but I don't think I would have as big of a problem is someone said "huh, tall girl."  Because you know what?  Yes, I am tall.  Jarringly tall for someone who hasn't seen me before, so I can understand that exclamation.  I know it's not about my weight size anymore because I know I look good now.  I am now officially the average size for a woman in America, and while I would like to be another size smaller, I know that I don't look fat.

But to call someone big?  I just take that as derogatory.  I'm TALL, thank you very much.  Learn the phrase-ology.

No comments:

Post a Comment