Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Weigh In Wednesday: 11/28/12 - The Setback Edition

Last week's weight:                         242.1
This week's weight:                         243.8

Weight gain:                                       1.7

Total weight lost:                              66.2

I knew that there would be a week where I would gain weight and it's not surprising that it was Thanksgiving week.  I mean, when you eat 2000+ calories in one sitting, what do you expect? Honestly, I'm slightly okay with just the 1.7 pound gain.  The day after Thanksgiving, I had gained 3 pounds, so to be able to get it back down to 243ish was a good thing.

But, this is just a sign that the holidays are officially upon us and with that come the holiday parties, holiday drinks, holiday treats, etc.  Also, for me it means lots and lots of movies (and in addition: movie popcorn).  The temptation is going to be everywhere and the temptation to just throw in the towel for the next 5-6 weeks is very great.

However, I am going to keep trying  I am determined to buck the trend and lose weight this holiday season instead of gain it.  My official training for the half marathon is going to start next week and I'm determined to do well on that as well.  I hit a milestone the other night and was able to run a full 5K on the treadmill.  I felt great afterwards.  I'm really excited to have a training schedule again.  It's just another thing for me to be accountable towards.  If I screw up that, I can kiss the half marathon goodbye and that just isn't an option for me.

Something that I'm actually having an issue with that I haven't had to deal with before, is the desire to over do it.  I'm having to force myself to take rest days from exercise.  I think part of its because I'm eating back some, if not all the calories I'm burning off and so when I don't exercise I automatically feel like I've overeaten and that I'm a gluttonous pig (even though I'm attempting to stay within the range of calories my counting app has allotted for me to lose 2 pounds a week sans any exercise at all).  I don't think this is a very healthy way to view it.  I almost feel like I have a form of exercise bulimia or something.  Instead of making myself throw up, I'm exercising.  I don't think it's quite as bad as that yet, but if I don't try and change my mindset it could get into kind of a grey zone.  I could do some damage not just mentally but physically as well.  Yesterday I forced myself to take a rest day and I hated it.  I felt gross the whole day.  I was starving because I was trying to not eat more than 1500 calories, but meanwhile my hip was tight and was thanking me for taking the day off.  I need to listen to my body more than my mind right now.  If I'm hungry, I need to eat.  Not eat everything in sight and not horrible things, but an apple or some carrots, maybe even a string cheese.  When my body is tired, I need to stretch it and rest it.  I WILL NOT fall into the pit that I've seen so many weight loss bloggers fall into: they think they know better than their own bodies and end up doing damage both mentally and physically.  Again, just not an option.

Okay, so I'm sorry for this rambling post but I just had some of these thoughts rattling around my head for a few days and felt like I needed to share them.








No comments:

Post a Comment