Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Day I Mooned Central Park...

Tonight's post will be much happier than last night's.  Promise.

So tonight, after having been kind of called out on facebook for having not run in a while, I decided to go for a decent length run.  I was going to try for my 4 mile loop around Central Park.  After the half way point (where the hills start to go up instead of down) I didn't think my legs were going to make it the whole four miles.  I decided to cut out the upper loop and cut through the Reservoir instead.  It cut about a 1/2 mile from my run, which my legs thanked me greatly for. 

Not too shabby a view, right?
This was the first time I've run the Reservoir since probably November and it made me a bit nostalgic.  The Reservoir was where I started my journey 11 months ago.  One sunny Saturday afternoon I decided to restart my life and did so with a simple loop around the water.  The Reservoir was where I learned how to run.  It's where I learned that I was capable of so much more than I ever thought possible.

It's also where I mooned Central Park...

Yes, you read that right. 

Last fall, during my time of unemployment, I would take my daily walks around the Reservoir usually around 2-3 PM.  I had gotten into the habit of doing it daily and I really hated to break up my routine because I was still in that phase that if I took one day off, I was afraid that I wouldn't get back into it.  Well, this one afternoon it had been raining all day.  I was really anxious about getting out there and walking and so I finally decided that it looked like it was letting up enough for me to just go for it.  I had a light raincoat/windbreaker and headed out.  At this point my exercise attire consisted of old t-shirts and yoga pants (because they were all I could find that were long enough for me).  The yoga pants had started to feel a bit loose, but I didn't think anything of it. 

After my first lap of the Reservoir the rain had ceased and I was starting to get a bit hot in my rain coat, so I took it off and tied it around my waist.  About half way through that second lap, I started to feel a bit cooler.  I didn't quite realize why until a moment later...  My pants had sagged to beneath my butt.  Good thing the park was essentially empty still because of the earlier rain, or they would have gotten quite a sight!!  I quickly pulled up my pants, tied the side of them in a quick knot (there were no drawstrings) and laughed my head off. 

I assumed it was the double whammy of my loose, slightly wet pants combined with the added weight of the coat around my waist that pushed the pants down.  Can't really be sure.  All I know is that it was drafty.

Now a days my exercise attire consists of items I never thought I would own in my entire life.  I ONLY work out in running tights now.  The compression of them and the moisture wicking material they are made from make every work out heavenly.  I still work out in old t-shirts, but I prefer tech shirts (just don't own enough of them yet to wear them all the time...) again for their moisture wicking abilities.  I own as many sports bras as I do regular bras!  I own special running socks!  I never in a million years would have thought I would ever spend as much as I did for my current pair of running shoes...

But you know what?

While I have spent money on all this special running gear, at least I don't have to worry about mooning Central Park while wearing it.

I figure I did that once in my life and that's probably enough. 

Although my butt is cuter now.

No comments:

Post a Comment