Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Just keep running, just keep running...

I realized that I hadn't updated the blog recently as to how my running is going.  I've posted stuff on facebook about it (which all of you have probably seen anyway...) but thought I would put something on here for the random person who stumbled upon my blog because they googled "die strep throat" (from a post back in January.  I say this because I get at least one a week.  Random.)

Well, for those of you who don't already know, the running is going great!  I've accomplished things in just a few short months that I never thought I would have been able to.  I'm currently running 1.5 - 3 miles about 5 times a week.  I'm still quite slow, barely faster than my walking pace, but for me it doesn't matter.  It's the act of running itself that is important to me, because speed will come organically as I get stronger.  For me, the big challenge that I faced was finding my breathing pattern.  I was always that kid that would cough, gasp and wheeze through just a few short laps in gym class.  But, now that I've found an incredibly comfortable breathing pattern, I feel like I can accomplish anything!

So, I've decided to challenge myself.  The initial challenges of running a mile, and then running 3 miles are complete.  Time for something new.

I'm going to run a marathon.  

Now, before you get too incredulous let me tell you when I plan to do this great act... January 2012.

That's right, I'm giving myself more than a year.  Considering what I've been able to accomplish in just three months, I feel like I can do it.  My body (so far...) has been holding up quite nicely under the strain that running brings and I think that if I do this smartly, I can actually accomplish it!  For you seasoned runners out there, I'm going to be coming to you for tons of advice, so be forewarned!

The marathon I've chosen is the Disney World Marathon.  I've always been a Disney kid, and I figured at least this way I would be running through some pretty fun sites that will keep me entertained along the way.  Plus, if I get into training and find that the marathon might be a goal that is just too far at that point in time, the Disney World Half Marathon is held the day before.  I can downgrade to shooting for that as well.

I'm really excited about this.  It's going to take a lot of hard work, dedication, blood, sweat and most likely tears, but I'm going to do it.  Why?  Because the whole point of me trying to get healthier was to push my body into being the best one that it can be.  I'm not going to do that just by taking the easy route through this. Why not see if I can achieve one of the greatest physical accomplishments a person can do?

And even if I don't end up meeting my goal, I will have accomplished a heck of a lot along the way, I'm sure...


No comments:

Post a Comment