Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sometimes we have to do what we don't want to do

Today I came to a very difficult decision.  It's a decision that I've made before, but this I had to make it for a different reason.

I'm not running the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February.

Last time I did it because I was in a bad place mentally and couldn't make it work time wise. (I had just re-entered the work force and was opening a Broadway show.)

This time I'm doing it because I just can't afford it.

Taking a trip to Disney World in February, while it sounds fantastic, is just going to take a huge hit on my bank account.  I had told my Mom that I would take her with me and I just can't make it work budgetarily right now.  I am at the point in my life when I need to actually start saving and putting money away for retirement and for a rainy day.  I need to make these difficult decisions where I choose the safer route, rather than the fun route.

This isn't going to stop me from training though.  I just won't do it as rapidly.  I know that I could have run this half marathon if I worked for it.  I know that in my mind and in my heart.  I had the determination to do it.  So, that won't change.  But, this will make the week that my Mom is in Washington DC with me for Christmas a less stressful affair as I won't constantly be running to the gym to run.

This sucks, don't get me wrong.  I'm disappointed.  I just needed to make a grown up decision and that sucks sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. You can still run the 13 miles in Columbus, Louisville or Cinci! It won't be as fun, but it still would represent an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete