Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Weigh In Wednesday: 8/21/12 - The Epiphany Edition

Last Week's Weight:                                       222.7
Current Week's Weight:                                  220.2

Current Weight Lost:                                         2.5

Total Weight Lost:                                           89.8

I'm glad to be back at 220.  It's a good place for me right now, and it's a place I feel comfortable sitting at when I go back out on the road.  My clothes fit me well (even a tad on the loose side) and I just feel good in my skin.  It's a place I think I can maintain if it comes to that.

Here's why I'm talking about maintaining weight at the moment, rather that losing it: I had an epiphany this week with regards to Diet Bets and how they pertain to me.  I realized that in order for me to win them, I was going completely against my philosophy that I had developed about weight loss and the ability to maintain it.  Over the course of the past three years I've realized that the only way for me to lose weight and keep it off is to not deprive myself.  If I wanted to splurge on french fries, then I splurge!  But, I don't go overboard with it.  I get a small fry and move on.  If I wanted a slice of pizza, I got a slice of pizza!  I did this because I knew that if I didn't I would be depriving myself which would result in me going overboard to compensate. Tame the beast!  It's all about BALANCE! (see how it always comes back to balance?)

In order for me to win these Diet Bets I've been super strict with my eating, not allowing myself even the slightest indulgence and it worked in order to achieve the large weight loss numbers you need in order to win.  But, then as soon as the bet was over, I was going overboard with "rewards."  Ice cream, fast food, you name it!  I wanted it because they weren't even options when I was on the bet.  Even stuff that I never crave, I craved once that bet was over and that is why my weight ballooned back up to 228!  I binged, and I have never been a binge eater.  The small amount of money that I was winning on these bets weren't worth the deprivation and mental toll it was wreaking on me.

I realized that with me being as close to my goal weight as I am right now, my body just doesn't need to be losing 10 pounds a month.  I only have 20 more pounds to lose!  I need to go back to losing weight my way, because that is the way that I've managed to keep it off for three years.  It could take me three months, or it could take me a year!  I have no clue when I will finally see the magical 200 on the scale.  But, I know that I will eventually see it and that's the only thing that's important.

Also, I'm in New York City for just another three and a half weeks.  I'm going to want to go out with my friends to dinner and brunch and drinks.  I don't want to not enjoy what this city has to offer, because I honestly don't know when I will be back.

So, basically... I think Diet Bets are a good idea.  I think they are great for people who need motivation to start losing weight, or who need a kick in the pants because their weight loss has stalled.  I think it's a very supportive environment (at least the bets I've joined have been) and I really liked that you can talk with other people and make friends with people who struggle with the same things you are struggling with.  Unfortunately, Diet Bets just aren't what I need right now.  I don't need the pressure to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain amount of time.

In other news, I've moved to my new sublet about a block from Central Park and I couldn't be happier.  I've gone on three runs and have taken numerous walks just around the neighborhood and in the park as well.  I love it.  I love having such easy access to something as wonderful as Central Park.  It's made me realize that when I eventually move back to NYC on a more permanent basis that I will be doing everything in my power to make sure that I am able to move back to this neighborhood.  I miss it.

Well, that's all from me this week!  Next Monday I start back to work, so it should be interesting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment