Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Obese vs. Overweight

Hi all!

Well, 1+1 still equals 3 evidently!  I'm confused and still not understanding where this weight loss is coming from, but that lack of sense is leading up to potentially big news this week!  I know my official weigh-in won't be until Friday (one week from the one prior) but I may have already peeked at my numbers and my jaw just about hit the floor.

I guess it would be cruel if I kept you in suspense for too long, so I'll go ahead and say that it is a VERY real possibility that I might move out of the "obese" BMI category this week.  When I started this journey 13 months ago and tipped the scales at 310, I was at a startling 39.8 BMI (body mass index for anyone that's confused...)  Now anything over a 30 is considered obese, so being at almost a 40 meant that I was considered severely obese and just barely out of the morbidly obese category. 

Well, this morning at my unofficial weigh in, but current weight puts me at a 30.1 BMI.

SO CLOSE!

But the amazing thing is that I did the calculations and I'm just one pound away from being beneath a 30.

I must admit that I don't necessarily take the BMI chart too seriously.  I know that I'm healthier than probably a lot of people with BMI's in the overweight or hell, even the healthy weight range.  The chart doesn't really take into account muscle mass and considering my legs are quite heavily muscled right now, I know it's not quite accurate.  I've always just used it as another measurement of my success really.  I mean, because even at my goal weight I think I would be in the overweight category, albeit barely.

But even if I don't completely believe the BMI chart to be absolutely accurate I do have to say it will be nice to just be able to call myself "overweight."  Might not mean much to some people, but means a LOT to me!

2 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean, about BMI not being the most accurate measure of health/fitness - there's an image you see on blogs sometimes of an overweight man and a muscular body builder who both weigh the same and are the same height, so they have identical BMIs. At the same time, though, I am mindful of my BMI and have BMI goals - having started with a BMI over 55, getting to a point where I'm classified as not being any degree of obese is going to be a huge triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! I remember how great it felt to "just be overweight" instead of classified as obese!

    ReplyDelete